Pages

Tuesday, March 17, 2015

DIY Easter Place Cards (Tuesday Talk)

First of all, Happy St. Patrick's Day! Even though we weren't able to get decked out in our festive attire for the parade, we still dressed up today for school/work!


 And now that St. Patrick's Day is almost over, it's time to start thinking about Easter (it arrives early this year)! 

Yesterday I was invited back to Daytime Blue Ridge and this time I designed a tablescape (for the kiddos) for Easter dinner.  My main focus was to make fun place cards for each child. I decided to use terra cotta pots as the place card.  In our house we pull out the fancy china and crystal for holidays, but then I'm left trying to figure out what to do for the kids. My daughter (age 7) is at the age where she wants to be just.like.me (no pressure or anything, ha!). So I started brainstorming and shopping for key pieces to design the kids table. I had previously purchased plastic plates that I found at the Dollar Store that looked almost identical to some of my china. I also knew I wanted to use the "Christ Is Risen" cupcake toppers from a recent purchase.  I dug out my favorite Easter tablecloth and knew I wanted to incorporate it as well. And I knew my color scheme would be purple and yellow. Once I had a few key pieces in mind, I set out to shop for the following items: terra cotta pots, paint, ribbon, glasses, and items to fill the pots.

I returned with a mound of goodies and got to work!


Here's a picture of my china (pink rim - top left), my mom's china (with the silver rim that she gave to me - top right), and the plastic plates (bottom).


I was able to find plastic goblets (RIGHT) at the dollar store that looked pretty similar to our crystal (LEFT).


My daughter immediately asked to help, and started assembling our first set of pots. I knew I wanted to have four different "looks". One natural pot with a brown bunny, one natural pot with a white bunny, a purple pot with a purple peep, and a purple pot with a white peep.


The first place setting was complete and I wrote my son's name on it with a white paint pen.


And my daughter's name on the second one.



 

I loved the look of the natural pot with the purple place mat. And speaking of the place mat, I just bought 12x12 scrapbook paper in purple and yellow from Michael's. 


 Our next task was to paint two of the pots purple. I really wanted to accentuate the color purple for this tablescape. (In fact my daughter even asked why I was using so much purple. I rarely use purple, it's not my favorite color. I'm a PINK girl!). The color purple symbolizes the sacrifice and suffering and I'm constantly trying to focus more on the "real" meaning of Easter.


Cate asked to help paint a pot too! She's such a good helper.


Once the pots were painted and drying, I stuck the peeps in a toothpick to make it easier for them to stand in the pots.


Our finished two pots; one for each child.




A closer look at the entire place setting; everything plastic and kid friendly.


I stuck the cupcake toppers into a ribbon used to hold the napkins together.


I was extremely pleased with my final outcome and the place cards. They were a lot of fun to make and super easy. I also loved that my daughter helped create them. There are so many different color options you could use that would completely change the look of your table. You could change the place mat, the color of the pot (let the  kids design their own), the peep (have you seen all of the different colored peeps?), or the overall type of bunny candy you used.


Which one is your favorite?


And a quick shot from yesterday's TV appearance (will post more details tomorrow).



As always, I'm linking up with Keri, Jessica, Katie, and many more for Tuesday Talk
Living In This Season

10 comments:

  1. I love the natural pots with the chocolate bunnies!!!! I may have to use these ideas!! So cute!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl you are so creative! Love it

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE this! That is so cute! Really good idea. Thanks for linking up and have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adorable. The girls probably had so much fun creating too

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this! Adorable ideas and love that you make it meaningful too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are so fun!! A perfect Easter DIY :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your table settings...but my favorite part is your daughter helping you :) What a sweet moment to share together! Now, that's teaching her the true meaning of Easter - your love as a parent symbolizes God's love for us :) Thanks for sharing this with us for Tuesday Talk! - Jess
    www.sweetlittleonesblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so neat! I love it! Way to go C!

    ReplyDelete

 
BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS