Pages

Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Ash Wednesday

"Ash Wednesday marks the beginning of the season of Lent. Lent is a time when many Christians prepare for Easter by observing a period of fasting, repentance, moderation and spiritual discipline." -umc.org 


Every year since I was a child, my family has observed Lent. I always chose to "give up" something (typically food/drink related) during the 40 day period from Ash Wednesday - Easter. As an adult, I have tried to expand my thoughts on what Lent really means. Some years I still focus on giving something up, other years I focus on actively DOING something for the 40 days (bible study, scripture reading, acts of kindness, etc). Whatever I choose to do, I always try to spend those 40 days focusing more on my spiritual faith/repentance and less on material things/distractions. I also try to spend extra time explaining things to my children. 

I bought this book from Amazon for my daughter and hopefully it'll help her participate more this year. 
As I'm typing this I haven't fully decided on everything I will do this year, but I will say last year I gave up social media. Boy was that a tough one! ha! I'm not one to brag about what I do, nor do I think others should. This should be a decision that you make based on your own weaknesses/sins/distractions and relationship with God.  During this 40 day period, your focus should shift from "things" that take most of your time/energy, and put towards getting closer to God.

Do any of you observe the season of Lent? I'd love to hear any thoughts on the topic and also any ideas for how to involve your children.

Isaiah 30:15
 This is what the Sovereign LORD, the Holy One of Israel, says: "In repentance and rest is your salvation, in quietness and trust is your strength.."


1 John 1:19
If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 

Acts 3:19
Repent therefore, and turn again, that your sins may be blotted out, 


 Acts 8:22
Repent, therefore, of this wickedness of yours, and pray to the Lord that, if possible, the intent of your heart may be forgiven you.


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS